School Girl charm

Monday, March 14, 2011

Rainbow Baby?

First of all - THANK YOU to all of you that have posted such sweet and supportive comments this week on the news of our new baby's great-looking sonogram.  We have continued to feel such joy and thankfulness that God has blessed us so abundantly.  It has been a pleasure to share this joy with all of you.   

Many of you that read my blog may have noticed the name "Rainbow Baby" above our little countdown to baby on the right side of the screen.  And some of you have probably wondered what it meant.  So I figured I should explain it here. 

I remember reading this term about a year ago when a mom on the ABFA forum (Anencephaly Blessings From Above) announced her new pregnancy.  And I remember wondering what she meant.  In simplest terms - in the baby loss world - the term "Rainbow Baby" refers to a subsequent pregnancy after a loss.   

I have borrowed the following from my sweet friend Melissa's blog to explain it more beautifully:

"Below is the best definition I could find...

The idea is that the baby is like a rainbow after a storm.  It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of any storm.  When a rainbow appears, it does not mean that the storm never happened or that we are not still dealing with its aftermath.  It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds.  Storm clouds may still hover, but the rainbow provides a counterbalance of color, energy and hope.

Some cultures believe that a rainbow is a bridge between heaven and earth and of course you are familiar with the pots of gold found at the end!!!  For our family, the term rainbow baby acts as a reminder from our Lord of His covenant with us in the book of Genesis. God kept His promise to Noah and to us. "

A rainbow we saw from our backyard shortly after Karinne's birth. 

Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the flood waters destroy all life. When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” Then God said to Noah, “Yes, this rainbow is the sign of the covenant I am confirming with all the creatures on earth.”
Genesis 9:12-17

4 comments:

  1. That is so neat. That rainbow picture has even more meaning to me now. I remember seeing the picture shortly after Karinne's birthday, but it means so much more now. Thank you for explaining it. Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just read your beautiful story on your daughter, Karrine. I would like to follow your journey with your rainbow baby--God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad for the good US!! :) I've always liked the term rainbow baby. That's why my rainbow baby Lainey's middle name is Iris, which means rainbow. :) :)

    ReplyDelete